|Home News Amenities History Public Transport Parish Council Parish Hall Local Walks Usefull ContactsSt Matthews Church Classified Site SponsorsGallery||
The parish of Shuttington and Alvecote situated in North Warwickshire has a population of approximately 570 residents. It is a long narrow parish 3 miles from north to south with an average width of between ¾ and ½ mile. It lies west of Polesworth and Seckington and south of the Staffordshire border. The church of St Matthews and village of Shuttington stand centrally on the highest ground at about 280 ft. From here the land falls away sharply westwards towards the village of Alvecote, Alvecote Pools and the River Anker. The bridge at this point was known in 1650 as Black Bridge.
There was a mill in Alvecote in 1086, and in 1221 Robert de Bramcote complained that the Prior of Alvecote had drowned his land by raising the mill pool. The mill is mentioned in 1291 as worth 14s.
South of the mill, and now separated from it by the West Coast Main Line and the Coventry Canal, is the site of Alvecote Priory. Very little of it survives, and there is no trace of the original building. There was an 18th century house on the site and in its south wall was a 14th-century doorway with moulded jambs and pointed head which probably came from the original Priory. This is all that remains to be seen today.
Site last updated 11th April 2012
TAKE A LOOK AT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE - SHUTTINGTON & ALVECOTE VILLAGE HALL!!! New Easter Egg-stravaganza photos are there.
|Photography and Site Design by Priory Photography & Design 2012. Tel: 01827 899510|